Coming home; a novel

Epilogue “Happy birthday to you” That was the song they were singing when I opened my eye. That was eleven years ago; April 10, 1999 to be précised. They came with a cake which has small candles on top, I was asked to make a wish; I did. The day was a memorable day for me; it was the day my father was celebrating his victory on his party primary election. It was a memorable day in Ilesha; an Ijesha man is contesting for the state gubernatorial seat and was sure to win. The party kick off with my birthday party, friends from all over visited and a DJ came to play, we partied and merry. Religion leaders from all over the state came to pay their homage to my father and also to collect money they never worked for. By 4:00pm, my Uncle Mr. Olufemi Philips came in with the party supporters and well wishers and the main party kicked off. A local musician was there to sing his “Adamo ijesha”; a form of music common to the Ijesha’s. It was the talk of town for everyone in Ilesha. My father; Chief Olubanjo Philips was a philanthropist; he was a doctor, a business man who deals with the sales of Cocoa. He was once the councilor of our street and chairman; he was called by the people of the town to join politics and he was unopposed. He was awarded the chieftaincy title after his memorable works as the chairman of Ilesha west local government by the paramount King of Ijesha. My mother: Chief Mrs. Yemisi Philips as recall was not a fan of politics, but as a woman of virtue she has to follow her husband. She was and still a nurse. At 9:00pm, after the party, I was in my room with mom when I had the heated argument between my uncle and father, suddenly I heard gunshots. My uncle burst into the room and quickly hugged my mother and I, he murmured a few incantation…. They came with guns and cutlass, searched my bed, wardrobe…. I wondered what they were looking for, I tried to talk to my mother, I realized my mouth could not move, my joints were weak. Thirty minutes later, we saw the corpse of my father lying down on the floor with a broken head; I heard he was killed with a big stone after a multiple gunshot to the chest. My uncle covered my eye and led me out of the house and my mum was rushed to a hospital due to her collapse earlier. A week after the burial, we travelled out of the country………

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lagos dudes S2E3 contd

Corona thoughts

Journal of a marooned sailor